- Small business ownership
- Understanding entrepreneurship
- Business start-up
CAMEO is a statewide network of more than 230 organizations, consulting practitioners, partner associations, corporate partners, and government partners that promote microbusiness ownership as a wealth building strategy. All of the major microbusiness development and microlenders in California are CAMEO members. Since 1993, CAMEO has played a critical role in building the capacity of the field through best practices training, resource development, and policy support for the microbusiness development sector.
CAMEO’s mission is to grow a thriving ecosystem of support for underserved entrepreneurs so that all entrepreneurs have access to the resources they need to succeed, creating family economic mobility and community prosperity.
CAMEO is the largest State Microenterprise Association in the US. Annually, our members provide training, business technical assistance, and loans to more than 34,000 businesses that support more than 51,000 jobs and generate about $2.5 billion in economic activity. CAMEO is an active member of the national Association for Enterprise Opportunity (AEO) and CAMEO’s CEO serves on its board. CAMEO is a nationally recognized thought-leader on responsible business lending, integrating self-employment into workforce programs, and on the ‘Local Entrepreneurial Ecosystem,’ making the case for investment in locally grown, small and microbusinesses.
- Advocacy and subject matter expertise to local, state and federal leaders, agencies and legislators
- Training, capacity building and technical assistance for service providers
- Resources and connections for funding, research and partnerships
- Convening and public education events showcasing the impacts of self-employment and local economic sustainability