Federal Legislation and Policy
CWA maintains a robust presence in Washington D.C., and works with other state and national partners to ensure that workforce development issues are at the forefront of appropriations discussions. We also maintain communications with the Department of Labor, Congress, and the Administration to ensure that legislation and policy that comes from D.C. has the effect of building up the workforce system, ensuring that local and state flexibility are maintained in the operation of the program, and that good outcomes are developed for the businesses and communities that local workforce boards serve.
Any discussion of federal workforce development legislation begins and ends with the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, which passed both houses of Congress in a bipartisan, near-unanimous vote of 95-3 in the Senate, and 415-6 in the House. Support for WIOA is unlike any other major program in the country, and for good reason. It is the common sense solution to workforce development, putting business in the lead of decision making, while incorporating the voices of Labor, Education, and the Community. These parties work together for a common goal, the prosperity of America through strong businesses that are staffed by an engaged, educated, innovative workforce.
This legislation is so important that we have a whole page dedicated to it. Please click here to get to that page and dive deeper into this historic legislation.
WIOA Final Rules
Please see below for the Final Rules, with CWA’s NPRM comments below:
- Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act; Joint Rule for Unified and Combined State Plans, Performance Accountability, and the One-Stop System Joint Provisions; Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
- Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act; Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
- Programs and Activities Authorized by the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (Title II of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act)
- State Vocational Rehabilitation Services Program; State Supported Employment Services Program; Limitations on Use of Subminimum Wage
- Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, Miscellaneous Program Changes
- Implementation of the Nondiscrimination and Equal Opportunity Provisions of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (Section 188)
Below is a list of items CWA is following closely:
- Appropriations – CWA supports WIOA funding to fully authorized levels, as determined by a near unanimous vote of consent in both houses of Congress upon the passage of WIOA.
- Perkins Reauthorization – CWA supports funding for CTE programs, and increased alignment with the tenets and measures of WIOA.
- TANF Reauthorization – CWA supports a loosening of the restrictions around skills training, and alignment with the tenets of WIOA.
TEGLs and TENs
- Best Practices, Partnership Models, and Resources Available for Serving English Language Learners, Immigrants, Refugees, and New Americans
- Performance Accountability Guidance for Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act Programs
To see the full list of current TEGLs and TENs, please click here.
CWA keeps tabs on the websites of all of the important California and federal players in workforce development on our Government Resources page.
To view the page, please click here.
CWA Federal Advocacy Blog
A huge thank you to @SenFeinstein for her support of the Campaign to Invest in America’s Workforce. Here @CAWorkforce ED Bob Lanter sits with workforce experts on the crucial role of federal investment #fundthemagic #workforcedevelopmentworks
Bob Lanter, Executive Director, California Workforce Association (August 2018) The National Council for the American Worker, and the Future of Learning to Work Last week President Trump signed an Executive Order creating the National Council for the American Worker....
Fiscal Year 2018 Appropriations – Congressional leaders agreed to a 2-year budget deal which increases federal spending caps for defense and non-defense discretionary accounts for Fiscal Years 2018 and 2019. The increases for non-defense accounts are $63 billion and...